Sunday, February 27, 2011

Death by Minister

I had a very interesting week, which did include attending a funeral.....
As I approached the large denominational church, It was cold and not just the weather. I entered the doorway a place I had not ventured since I was a child some 25 years ago would be my guess. "Sure seems smaller" was the thought in my head. We, me and a co-worker, signed the"guest" book and headed toward the sanctuary doors. I was pleased to hear the attendant not ask if we were family, but if we were in "the Sunday school class".  I could tell by that question where this mans priorities must have been. We asked to sit in the back, we may need a quick get away, (strictly for work reasons) then we took our seat in the back row.

The service began as most I guess do, the deceased favorite hymns played by organ, followed by an introduction by the Man of the cloth. This was followed by us praying the printed prayer in each of our pamphlets and singing a hymn. A long time friend of the family shared some kind words. We read some more out of our pamphlets. Again the minister says some kind words shares scripture with the family and the the rest of us.

Now I have not been to 14 different churches throughout my life, consistently I'd say three, visiting some here and there on invitation, wedding, or funeral. So I am not proclaiming to be a great theologian. However at the end of this service the Man of the Cloth comes down behind casket and says (not verbatim) "As a minister of the gospel of peace, I now declare _______ __________ _________ earthly life over"

Now that was earlier in the week and it has haunted my thoughts til today. If anybody on this planet could say that, it should at least be the mans doctor. No God declared his life over... when it was.  And I'm totally cool with being wrong, someone enlighten me.

Thanks for sharing in my spiritual frustration- Much Love- David.

No comments:

Post a Comment