Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Power

The church we attend just completed a series called, Who do you think you are. Based on the principle that when you know who you are, you will know what to do. They covered these aspects, you are an Ambassador, an Over comer, a Masterpiece, and you are Salt and Light. Really a great series. Reminded me who I am and the possibilities God can have for me.

There has been one area that I have thought for along time that has been forgotten. It may be the pentecostal in me. But it is the power that is in His name. More over the power that is available to you through His name. Of course I am basing this on our constant connection with Abba. But there is power in knowing the living God.

Matthew 18:18-19 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)

18 I assure you: Whatever you bind on earth is already bound  in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth is already loosed in heaven. 19 Again, I assure you: If two of you on earth agree about any matter that you pray for, it will be done for you  by My Father in heaven.

This is one of the scriptures I use frequently. When I am facing anything "bad" I remember this one. It is also said earlier in scripture Matthew16:19.  This is nothing of my own doing, but that of God. He has enabled us, through His plan, to see the power of Jesus at work. When you read Acts you will see a similar phrase over and over, "by the name of Jesus" or "in the name of Jesus" The early church seems to have been powerful. The early church seems to have been about one thing, Jesus. WOW. They new there was something about that name.

Philippians 2:9-11 (New International Version, ©2011) 

9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
   and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
   in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
   to the glory of God the Father.

I'll leave you with one final thought. Jesus is not some magic word that we can utter to change things. In Acts 19 about vs 13 you can read where the Jews were trying to envoke the power of Jesus name, the evil spirit in the man beat them and they left naked and bleeding. The power of His name goes with relathonship. If we are in a crowded place and you yell my name I might look at you but if you haven't established a relationship I won't know you, I'll assume you are calling someone else. We must have that relationship with Jesus Christ, the risen savior.

Colossians 3:16-17 (New International Version, ©2011)

16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

The power is in you. Love D.

No comments:

Post a Comment