Saturday, March 19, 2011

ROAD BLOCK

I have been reading Acts, some what sporadically, but still reading. I came across this passage it really got me thinking. Even spurred a little Facebook discussion.


Acts 16:6 (The Message)
6-8They went to Phrygia, and then on through the region of Galatia. Their plan was to turn west into Asia province, but the Holy Spirit blocked that route. So they went to Mysia and tried to go north to Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus wouldn't let them go there either. Proceeding on through Mysia, they went down to the seaport Troas.

Let me tell you a little about how I seek out God. There have been times when I wanted to do as the Word says and pray continually, which is usually a lot of want with little action. However, when coming to an intersection, I'll ask God which way now Lord. Just give me your thoughts and we'll do it.  Or pull up to an intersection and my usual way is blocked, road construction, broke down car, and even the occasional wreck. These things all change my "normal" course. But why? Are these just common, random events or is it something else?

I'm going with something else. I wonder what it looked like to Paul when the Holy Spirit blocked their route?  Paul was a little bit accustomed to adversity, so what was it? Camel vs. Donkey on the straight path? Maybe an Ox rollover on Damascus Rd? A herd of sheep trapped them in their lane and they missed their exit? What ever it was they apparently took it for what it was. It was God.

So their plans changed and they were "directed" somewhere else. So was I. How many times in my life have my plans changed? How many times did I get mad at God or question His ability? Probably to many to count. But now I am trying to see Him at work in my life at all times. Not just my "church' time or quiet time. Whatever other Christian words you can throw out. But in everything, in the inconvenience of it all. Seek to be directed by God.  Abba says everything works for good, for us who love Him and are called for His purpose. He will not put more on us than we can handle and will provide a way of escape. And in everything with prayer and petition talk to God, He longs to hear from you.

Proverbs 16:9 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)
9 A man's heart plans his way, but the LORD determines his steps.

If anyone wants to mess up my plans, Let it be God.
From out in Left Field, Ok. Love David.

1 comment:

  1. If we could only throw out our agendas and rely on His... but I'm not entirely sure that's possible. And even THAT may not be part of His plan... *wink* I, too, am very familiar with the detours - but you gotta admit, it sure makes the view interesting! He IS The Way... WOOHOO!

    ReplyDelete