Saturday, April 23, 2011

More of a Question than a Blog.........

Currently reading 1 Corinthians, now in chapter 4 and I'm not quite getting it yet.  Maybe you can help.

Paul refers the people to imitate or follow him a couple of times throughout scripture one of those times is in Chapter 4 so I want to understand it. I think Paul is talking about the church being comfortable. Things are good, comfortable even, but is that where we are supposed to be? Maybe it was the same group of people coming in every week. The same service, little has changed from week to week. They give their time and tithe to God and all is right in the world. Is Paul trying to spur them on from this comfortable Christianity?

So one of the verses that stood out to me right off the bat.....

1 Corinthians 4:3-4 (New International Version, ©2011)
3 I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. 4 My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me.

If you truly believe you are doing all you can do, that maybe be better defined as, you know God is flowing through you. Maybe people are judging you, your church, maybe your actions. Your weird, constantly misunderstood, few true friends.  Maybe Paul got to the point he just had enough, "Judge all you want, you're not the judge your playing the Judge"

I think the rest of chapter 4 is basically sarcasm, and you? Still another verse that caught my attention is vs 6. in it "do not go beyond what is written" . Maybe this church had created a bunch of traditions and rules that needed adhering to. Maybe similar to some of modern churches? vs 7 For who makes you different from anyone else? 

He goes on to compare the hardships of the disciples to the "blessings" on the Church of Corinth. In then in vs 16 Therefore I urge you to imitate me.  That statement makes me re-read this chapter over and over.

Lastly
1 Corinthians 4:20 (New International Version, ©2011)
20 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power.

God is all powerful and we have read about miracles that were tremendous manna from heaven, the burning bush, cloud by day fire by night. But I think there are more examples of power by which God works through his people. Acting in crazy, misunderstood, life altering ways. All in obedience to God, allowing His power and love to flow through you.
You are a connector to the conduit of the power of God- Steven Furtick.

Thanks for reading!! Feel free to comment or email. David

No comments:

Post a Comment