Saturday, April 2, 2011

A perdetermined choice

Many times I have pondered predestination in years past. Many times did I find myself lacking an adequate answer. But in recent years, I have come up with my own resolve. That is, predestination and free will are both at work. TA DA. Now that I have confused you let me explain.

As you read scriptures it would seem that both principles are at work. We read the terms predestined and choice throughout scripture. So how can this be? One of the best scriptures to sum up this complicated system God has set in to motion is in Isaiah.

Isaiah 55:8-9 (New International Version, ©2011)

 8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
   neither are your ways my ways,”
            declares the LORD.
9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth,
   so are my ways higher than your ways
   and my thoughts than your thoughts.

After visiting with a friend of mine for quite some time, this is the best way to describe it for me. Have you ever rented a movie or recorded a TV show and didn't want anyone to spoil it for you? Some one started talking about it and you were screaming LALALALALA with fingers in your ears. To me that is how predestination works, only God knows the outcome. I like to use a football game as an example.

God has a plan for the game. His plan is actually for both teams, because He owns them both. He already knows the end, But everyone enjoys a good "game". Me- I'm a line backer, left side. I don't want to warm the bench, I want to be a player. However everyone is involved. The only ones who don't know the outcome are..... well no one knows but God. But the stands are full, cheerleaders are in place. Defense is taking the field, God's people are on the continuous offensive.  (we'll have to talk about offense through love at a later time) But it wouldn't be a game without everyone in place.  Even if people weren't watching from home it would affect the game in the long run. Again everyone is involved.

Maybe God has certain predetermined objectives He wants accomplished, but allows us the opportunity to achieve those through time and grace. When talking with my friend about this he offered me this question, "Do you think or feel that God is at work in you or around you?".  My answer, "yes".  He said, "Than what does it matter"

Hmmm. Not really what I was looking for at the time. But I now believe my friend was correct. This argument is just something to slow down the believer. Live the way you believe God is calling you to. Resolve to not talk about it if you must. 2 Timothy chapter 2 has great insight.

Try to keep it simple. Another friend has a saying; Live Loved. so simple, luckily I"m able to complicate that too.  To borrow some Paul

1 Corinthians 10:15 (New International Version, ©2011)

15 I speak to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I say.

Love in Christ- David.
OK STOP EVERYTHING!! JUST HAD THIS SENT TO MEBaron Batch's Blog If you got here please read his blog!! Thanks Gavin!!

No comments:

Post a Comment